Monday, September 15, 2008

elevator & balloons

Today as I was taking the parking garage elevator to the 6th floor, the girl getting off at the 5th floor turned her face to me, smiled, and slowly said "Have a good Monday."  
I smiled back and said, "Thank you, you too."  

I don't know why I haven't been able to get this out of my head.  Did I do something to provoke this small, unexpected kindness?  Did she like how I looked?  My camouflage jacket, which I feel kind of like a douche in sometimes but wear anyway because it fits me and it is cool?  Did she like how I eeped out "Oh sorry sorry sorry!" when she was trying to push the 5th floor button and I was standing in the way because the elevator was crowded with 3rd and 4th floor people?  Was she amused by the chorus of jangling, rattling, paper-crinkly noises when I dug too long in my purse for my keys?  Is she in one of my classes?  Did she also enjoy the kind of juice I was drinking?  
Or is she just the kind of girl who goes around saying "Have a nice _______" to random people.  Or maybe only when she's leaving you alone on an elevator, uplifted.
I remember a flash of teeth on a pale face.  She might have been wearing gray.

************************

Today I found myself spying on people in my apartment building's parking lot, lying on the floor with my face to the screen door at cat-eye level (I know this is a fact because I was flanked by cats at that time).
There were about seven of them but they rode in on about five motor-cycles.  Tied to each of the motor-cycles were big clusters of colorful helium balloons.  
It was not my intention to be a voyeur today, but it just sort of happened, since I had left my knitting on the porch and was too scared to go out and get it while they were there, waiting for them to leave turned into watching, and I became entranced.  I tried to decipher their personalities from their friendly interactions; their overheard cellphone conversations.  I imagined that their faces were familiar, and how they would speak to me if we were friends.  They hung around for about 20 minutes, two of the guys briefly trying in vain to pop balloons by smashing them between two fists like a giant jaw clamping.  Then, they got on their motor-cycles and left, the balloons fluttering crazy and lit-up with the glow of taillights.

No comments: