Friday, June 13, 2008

sugar

ideal summer diet: orange soda, pistachios, red vines, rum

list still in progress.

The caterpillars are still hanging around and seem fine; the little one has sort of hunched up and anchored himself to a stem with two strands of silk.  What is he up to?  What is he plotting?  I'd love to see him start chrysalis-ing it up already but he's smaller than the other one so weird, I guess.  I did not name them because I guess I am just extremely convinced that they will runnoft or die horribly.  They have not.
Update: It seems he IS preparing to make a chrysalis!  That over-winter business was apparently nonsense.  He should do a final shed in the next 12 hours or so and then the cocoon will be formed. :) :) :) :)  The other one has been really zoomy lately too which means he is also probably ready!  Once they make them I'll put them in a nice container with air holes so they don't become damaged and also so I may see their butterfly selves before they fly away.  
Another thing about the caterpillars: When they feel threatened by you touching them they unleash the two sticky vermillion "horns" I talked about earlier.  I've learned through trial and error that the horns also smell to high heaven like a sweet, tangy, but unpleasant stench that I imagine says "Shit, bitch!  I'm POISON!"

Watching boxing.  Ira Glass taught me that there are boxers who make their career by losing to much better fighters.  How does this work?  Could I be one of them?  

Lazy and broke but hungry for something to do, man.  I need some easy friends.  

No comments: